St Patrick Church, Hollandale
The history of St. Patrick’s dates back to the 1840’s. Many of the Irish immigrants in Moscow and Waldwick journeyed the ten to fifteen miles to church in Mineral Point. In 1864 a decision was made to build a church. It was built west of Hollandale, now the site of Calvary Cemetery. It was demolished in 1894 and another church was built on the same site. June 30, 1907. This church was struck by lightning and burned. The following year the cornerstone of our present church was laid.
This Gothic structure features a stately steeple with a massive bell. We are very proud of our beautiful statues, stain glass windows and solid oak pews. We are also extremely proud of our large historic picture of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Sanctuary of this beautiful Church. Come and visit this lovely town nestled in a valley. Then join us for mass and meet the friendly people. We would love to meet you.
St Joseph Church, Argyle
Father S.J. Dowling came to Argyle in 1898, and found the erection of St. Joseph Church abandoned. He managed to complete the building after he was offered an unsolicitied Fifty Dollars from the generous Christian heart of Abner Hawley, then from all quarters of the parochial territory, from here in town and from the parish of St. Francis in the township of Adams came fine generous gifts from other good souls. The dedication of the Church was on November 17,1898.
Next came St. Joseph's Rectory completed in 1902. Calvary Cemetery began with one acre of land in 1901. Followed with another one and one fourth acres donated in 1936. In 1960 St. Francis cemetery was incorporated with the Calvary Cemetary. Dowling Hall was dedicated in 1954 and is now a place for religion classes, funeral dinners and church meetings to be held.
Today the current parishioners of St. Joseph gather together on Sunday mornings to celebrate Mass. We welcome everyone to join us in song and prayers.
Immaculate Conception Church, Blanchardville
Immaculate Conception Church was built in 1898, in 1920; Immaculate Conception became a Parish with Fr. John McMahon as its first priest. In the 1960’s Immaculate Conception became a mission of St. Joseph’s in Argyle, ten years later it was transferred to St. Patrick’s in Hollandale. By 1999 after 100 years it was time for a new church building and the first Mass was said on Christmas that year. The Bell originally cast in 1898 was hung in a free standing tower on the church grounds. The bell is inscribed with a special prayer to the parish:
Like on Jordan’s Shore in old Syria
So here, in young Pecatonica
Glory to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Sing I with the Angelic host.
To Mary, Virgin, pure serene,
All Hail to Thee Celestial Queen.
So now and ever be.
If you are new to the area or just visiting come join us in prayer. We would love to have you visit.
St Michael Church, Yellowstone
St. Michael Church is located on a high ridge on County Road F between Blanchardville
and Fayette. The land for both the church and cemetery was donated by Christopher and Hannah Hartung, a couple from Germany, and the Thornton-Hardyman family from Ireland. The original church was built in 1870. In 1872 St. Michael became a mission parish of St. Joseph in Dodgeville and regular services began.
The Church was destroyed by fire on January 29, 1945 and was rebuilt and dedicated on July 14, 1948. St. Michael's has been linked with several several area parishes over the years and today is part of the St. Isadore Parish.